Sunday, July 7, 2013

Damsel in Dress or Distress

After studying English literature for 3 years, and staying with my dearest girl pals, I had become a loyal preacher of Feminism and Women Liberation. The books I read, the lectures I attended, the teachers I heard and all the brainstorming sessions had all made me look beyond the beliefs which saw women as delicate and venerable part of the society.

We are the women of 21st century, for God’s sake! We are fortunate enough to be born in a democratic and a progressive country, which has given its most powerful position of a President to a woman. Our parents are educated, they’ve sent us to good schools, and we stay around a bunch of well informed people. So things like women empowerment makes more sense to us. Talking of women liberation, we have so many inspirational stories floating. People have a huge amount of content to talk on this subject.

Why go far, I personally, have been propagating it myself. I’ve always stood up against any sexist statements or gender discrimination happening around me. So far, I’ve gone quite strong on the feminist ideas and the belief that nothing can curtail our freedom to act for ourselves.

But the dream of men and women as equal partners in progress is yet to be fully realized I guess. When I look around, I see that people still raise eye brows when a girl across the age of 30 and is not married yet. Or when she decides to enjoy her life before she plans a baby. She still suffers at work in terms of promotions or grabbing responsible positions because she may get married and go away, or plan her family and take a maternity leave. Parents are still apprehensive of letting their daughters move out and make their own living. Late nights/ Night outs are still a taboo in a lot of households. Rape/ Molestation cases are on an ever increasing rate. There are cases registered on an everyday basis for Domestic Abuse/ Violence against women.

What an anti- thesis, isn’t it?

Witnessing cases like this makes me realize that there is still a lot more left. Women liberation in the real sense of the word is still a far fetched dream. Real life is way more than the hi-fi talks we indulge into. The status of a woman in the society still stands questionable, it seems.

But nevertheless, I’m optimistic. The change is gradual for sure and may be a little slow. But it is happening at least. Does it not give us a reason enough to rejoice? :)